Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Writing in Chemistry

While most chemists spend a large part of their time dealing with data (and managing it), the ability to communicate effectively to other chemists is critical in the field of research. If you cannot communicate your ideas, no matter how brilliant you are, no one is going to bother to listen. So, effective use of the English language is a skill that must be developed. How effective a writer do you think you are? Give supporting evidence for your position.

Don't forget to tell me who you are so I know who is posting here!

3 comments:

  1. I believe that my writing skills are fairly well developed. I have always done well in english class and scored higly on the english and writing sections of the PSAT and ACT(top 10%). I enjoy writing and beleive that it is very important to be able to communicate your ideas effectively.

    Chris Moore
    M5
    Chemistry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that I am a pretty effective writer. I may not be too good at math, but I have always enjoyed writing. People always seem to understand what I am trying to say when I write it. Generally, i score well on essays in Lyceum.
    Also, through a persuasive essay, I got the entire class to agree with my opinion. This shows that people understand what I am saying and can form opinions about my writing.

    Allie Muhl M5

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy writing all types of papers, mostly because I get to show off what I'm good at. For my APLAC final from first semester, I received an 8 on a practice AP essay. The scoring is out of 9. I hold that to being a great accomplishment of which I am very proud. I only hope to do as well, if not better, on the real exam in May.
    Caitlin Jones M7

    ReplyDelete